Monday, May 19, 2014

We've arrived

The whole plane ride here I journaled and self-reflected as predicted. But overall, the reflection process is pretty smooth. I mean this is embarrassing to admit but I teared up when we landed here. It just came over me how blessed I am to be alive and to be given this opportunity to see life outside of my sphere of knowledge and comfort.

On the plane ride I decided that anything I see and experience here, I will attempt to treat it with non-judgement. Things, events, people are neither good nor bad. They just are. I'm working to treat myself in that way too. I am neither good nor bad. I just am. And I am not the center of the universe.

A full circle sort of thought occurred to me from Richmond. While I was there a quote by Martin Luther King Jr. really struck me. "Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or the darkness of selfishness. This is the judgement. Life's most persistent question is, what are you doing for other?"

What am I doing for others? I believe that this is the challenge this trip will force me to face. Because I live so often in a self-centred mindset. What do I want? Where do I want to go? What should I say? How do I feel? To think of others before one's own desires is uncomfortable. But if you ask me if I believe it's worth it, I truly do. My life is only one. Now is the time to change. Now is the time to act. Not drastically and dramatically, but gradually cutting away at my selfish tendencies.

Anyway. That is why I teared up on the plane. A little overwhelmed but truly blessed... With the chance to work to redeem my life.

Ah, yes. Very heavy. Passion fruit was so delicious today! Maybe that's what's gotten into me :P


No comments:

Post a Comment