Sunday, May 18, 2014

LESS THAN 2 HOURS!

I am so excited to go to Nicaragua! I've been thinking about this trip literally since freshman year when I got involved with Bonner.  After returning in December from a semester in Chile, it seemed like a semester was forever away to have to wait to travel again.  I can't believe it is already here!  After spending a semester in Chile, I thought that traveling to Nicaragua wouldn't be a problem and that I could expect similar conditions.  However, one of my friends who travelled to Nica in the past with WILL and worked with ProNica quickly burst that bubble.  She said that her host family lived in "a hut with wood planks for doors and a bucket outside for a shower".  As crazy as this sounds, that excited me! My mom was less thrilled to hear that and I think I made her more nervous than she was before (is that possible?).  However, I'm excited to have new experiences, open my eyes a bit more, and push myself out of my comfort zone.  I'm so excited to immerse myself in another culture, learn and meet more people, especially my host family and the kids we'll be working with! I'm hoping to foster a good relationship with them in the two short weeks that we are there.  It will be odd having a second host family though; I will definitely be missing my Chilean family!  I can't wait to learn more about Nicaragua and to do meaningful work with ProNica.  Traveling is such an incredible opportunity to open one's eyes up to the world and learn so much more than the Internet or a travel book ever could teach you. We're traveling with an incredible bunch that will each contribute so much to the trip and the general group dynamic as well.  I have high expectations after the Atlanta trip, but I know this bunch won't disappoint :)

1 hour and 20 minutes!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment